Sunday, September 19, 2010

Reflecting. (2010)

I found another note for my retro series! I know you're as thrilled as I am.

Technically, this one isn't very old. I wrote it back in April with the intention of posting it during the last week of my Senior year, but instead, I tossed it. So now, I'm...untossing it.

Reflecting.

Over the past four years, I've experienced a wide variety of teaching styles through a colorful assortment of instructors. Some have left lasting impressions on me which I will cherish, others...have emotionally and/or mentally scarred me for life.


Regardless of their disposition, however, they've all played a role in getting me to where I am today. So, here's my tribute to them, my high school teachers:


Coach Howard
Redefining the vocal decibel levels within human capability, Coach Howard has kept me awake and attentive through an entire year of Calculus. He's one of the most brilliant men you'll ever meet, and not only is he a genius in mathematics, but he knows ALOT about baseball. Besides teaching, Coach Howard is a mentor to all of his students. He tells the best stories and can relate to almost any situation.


"You weren't gonna have homework, but I was out at the golf course when I tripped over this big stack of Calculus!"


Madame Waits
Truly, Madame is one of my favorite people. Ever. Between her limitless knowledge of the French culture and her great sense of humor, Madame is an unbelievable teacher. Unlike many others, she actually knows what she's talking about and then some. Because of this, most of us have come to know her as "The Fount of Useless Knowledge." Whether she is teaching a lesson or chewing someone out in multiple languages, there are no dull moments with Madame.


"This is why I teach, so I don't have to deal with adults. Because honestly? I'd kill someone."


Mr. Loope
To be completely honest, Mr. Loope is a philosopher in his own right. Give him any literary work and he can pick it apart, analyze it, piece it back together, and teach it like he wrote it. Quickly, his students learn to never question the wisdom of Dante, Shakespeare, or Aristotle. With a voice that undoubtedly resembles God's voice, Loope with valliantly defend those men and any other author with whom he is familiar. Loope is a man of strong morals and values, and much like Coach Howard, he's quite the mentor. His personal stories will bring on catharsis in his audience, something I never knew existed until his class. I will dearly miss and fondly recall his morbid humor and hatred of smiley faces for years to come.


"Instead of saying, 'You wanna piece of me?' try an AP approach like, 'Desirest thou a portion of my person?'"

No comments:

Post a Comment