Sunday, March 7, 2010

Finding Yourself.

"Sometimes I think of six impossible things before breakfast..."

"I think that is an absolutely marvelous practice."


That was, by far, my favorite line in the Tim Burton's rendition of Alice in Wonderland. In this line, the Mad Hatter is the first to actually commend Alice for pondering the impossible, for dreaming. Everyone else throughout the movie tries to tell Alice who she is and who she will be one day, what she is to do and not do, and even who she is to marry.

At first, she actually begins to succumb to their pressure. But ultimately, her journey through Wonderland proves to Alice that "the path is not chosen for me, I make the path." (Another good line.)

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, especially for its theme of finding your true self amidst what others have forced you to conform to. Your life was given to you specifically, and what you do with it is entirely up to you. Obviously, I doubt anyone can actually fall down a hole and travel through a realm of fantasy on a quest for self-discovery, but metaphorically, it's a beautiful message.

Even when the world calls you mad, remember:

"The best people always are."

No comments:

Post a Comment