Saturday, November 21, 2009

Save the Drama for Someone Else's Momma.

When something is wrong, you know it.

Because some situations...are just undeniably disturbing.

One of your friends getting into a fight with your other friend's mother? This would classify as disturbing.

Within the past week, this situation has actually played out in front of me. How do you respond to that? Typically, one would assume a role of either support or protest to the situation ("take a side," if you will). However, both of opposing people displayed significant immaturity in the lengths at which they went to convey their point, so I can't say I condone either of their actions.

Yeah...I'm a fence-straddler. Sue me.

Admittedly, I've leaned towards both sides at one point or another. When reviewing different aspects of this dilemma, I feel differently. I can't help it. Every action taken throughout this whole ordeal is, for lack of better wording, a situational wrong.

Let me explain...

I've struggled for years with the cosmic "line between right and wrong."

(Which is apparently owned by the U.S. Government as they change it incessantly.)

Ultimately, I've come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as an innate conscience. No, differentiating between right and wrong is a learned facet of one's life. It's a collection of the people and events we encounter in our lives, and it never stops changing.

I disagree that at a certain point in our lives our personality, conscience, and the like are officially "established." Granted, as we age and become more set in our ways, changing becomes a much more daunting task. However, it is not unachievable.

I choose to allow God to "establish" who I am. How I interact with those around me is inevitably affected by His will, and my comprehension of that boosts the maturity of my conscience even further.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to preach. I'm just saying that a single person (or situation) is NOT the final verdict of what is right or wrong. The parameters of good and evil are inculcated by our Creator, but you can't expect to perceive those parameters without having a relationship with or talking to Him.

So, I take it back. Don't save the drama for someone else's momma or even your own momma...

...save it for your Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment