Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Missing Pieces.

Through the ages, man has attempted to shape his society based on what is considered “right” or “good.”

Selecting what is right has always been done through the invisible forces within man known only as emotion and ethics. This way of life has led to systems of law based on what feels right or wrong, and these laws have become an essential part of today’s society.

However, what if the rectitude society is striving for is removed and emotion no longer dictated man? This question may seem, for lack of better wording, out of the ordinary, but if you honestly take a long, analytic look at our society, you'll understand where I'm coming from.

I feel, if these circumstances continue to worsen, that mankind as a whole would rapidly decay into a truly primal, unsophisticated race. (To clarify, by no means do I find the human race "sophisticated." In all actuality, there's maybe 10% that can actually distinguish right from wrong.)

But for the sake of my point, just assume for a moment that emotion was no longer a factor affecting man. The essence of man is naturally the well-known trinity of Pathos (Emotion), Ethos (Ethic), and Logos (Logic). Three God-given entities that define who we are and firmly establish our lives.

Tampering with any of these can cause an unfortunate outcome. Let me explain...

Following our current path, emotion will ultimately dissipate into indifference. With the removal of emotion, ethics are also sacrificed as there is no inner feeling to draw the lines between good and evil. Therefore, Logos is left to stand unaccompanied. Obviously, mere logic alone cannot effeciently drive a life because without the other two forces, logic is not logical. It's one big chain reaction.

(I know, I know. I'm verging on the mindset of a radical existentialist, but trust me, I'm the farthest thing from it. Stay with me, there's a point.)

Pathos, Ethos, and Logos must all work in conjunction of one another for a life to properly operate. Only then will the hierarchy of mankind be able to stand stable.

I believe God put these three innate forces within us for a reason. A purpose.

That's why I become so easily frustrated with those who misuse or completely dispose of them. We may not understand the reasoning behind our emotions, why we feel the way we do, but that lack of comprehension is essential...

...because it brings us ever closer to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment