Saturday, April 23, 2011

Back in the Day.

I'm a sap when it comes to old-timey stuff. My SIRUS radio is constantly tuned into the 40s channel. Seriously, Bing Crosby is my hero. I'd much rather watch a black-and-white movie than some flashy, oversexed action flick at the theaters today. It was a different time back then, a time that I wish I could've been a part of, a time that should've simply never ended.

There's an unmistakable charm in looking back at that era. Nowadays, we label the people and lifestyles of that time overly conservative, but back then, it was...well, it was normal. It was normal for people to hold open doors for each other, for people to say things like "Yes ma'am" or "My pleasure" without getting funny looks. It was normal for people to wear clothes that actually cover their bodies. It was normal to respect authority. Heck, it was normal to respect people. Period.

And honestly, what's wrong with any of that?

I don't know when having morals, a conscience, and a backbone was deemed "conservative", but if anyone could give me an exact date, I'd be very grateful. Archaic, maybe, but the people of that time had consciences, something that has apparently dissipated over time especially in our America.

Yeah, you just got called out.