Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Keep chasing those pavements.

Whenever I come across an artist I like, it doesn't take long for me to start obsessing over their music, studying their iTunes profile, searching for lyrics and sheet music, even delving into their lesser known songs. This month's artist is the ever-lovely, ever-British Adele.

I have to accredit SIRUS with uniting us, Adele and I. Sitting in the driveway, refusing to turn off my vehicle, I listened, speechless, to the final lines of "Make You Feel My Love." There's so much power and meaning in her lyrics, echoed by the ferocity in her voice.

Adele sings of things everyone can relate to: love, heartbreak, revenge. It's all there, hidden amongst cryptic metaphors and intense intonations, and she's the perfect messenger.

But what impresses me the most about Adele is that her fame and popularity ride on nothing but her incredible talent. Adele doesn't need some sleazy getup, anorexic diet, or profanity-filled lyrics to make anyone like her. Adele sets an example by being true to herself. And you know what?

She is absolutely beautiful just the way she is.

________________________________________________

Adele did an interview with Rolling Stone, and as part of her closing, she made a statement which pretty much sums it up:

"...but that's not what my music is about. I don't make music for eyes. I make music for ears."